Friday, January 15, 2010

Week One: Dublin

Greetings from Ireland! Thought it was about time I actually started blogging and things have finally settled down a bit so I have a few spare minutes to actually write something!

We got into Dublin Tuesday morning at 8:25. Basically we dropped our stuff at our dorms right away and then went to O'Connell House which is the Notre Dame Centre in Dublin. It's a really cool Georgian house on Merrion Square in the City Centre and called the O'Connell House because Daniel O'Connell, a famous Irish politican, lived there for most of his life.

The rest of the week has basically been spent settling in: grocery shopping, orientation, figuring out the bus system, and other things like that. I'm living in the dorms at UCD (University College Dublin). So far 4 out of my 5 roommates are here. It's a fun mix. 2 of us are American, 2 are Australian, and one is French! We'll have to wait and see who the sixth is!

Last night was the first night we went out. We went to a pub called the Stag's Head where I had my first pint of Guinness! It was crowded and crazy in there but we managed to find a table. It was a lot of fun! We'll definitely stop by that pub again!The Stag's Head

On the way back from the pub we happened to meet a guy on the bus whose dad graduated from Notre Dame and mom from St. Mary's. Small world, right? Just goes to show that Notre Dame people are EVERYWHERE!

More to come later once I have a bit more time, have visited more pubs, etc!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Alli! I am so excited to be able to keep up with you and all your exciting adventures. I must say that pub is beautiful! and that beer is DARK!
    Have fun and keep us all updated!
    I have a blog too!
    Check it out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could follow you literally, but I cannot :) So I'll do it this way instead.
    HAVE A WONDERFUL SEMESTER!

    Allie

    ReplyDelete