Sunday, February 14, 2010

Dingle

Let me just start this off by saying that I have now been in Ireland for a whole month! Wow. It is going by way too quickly already!

I had been anticipating spending this past weekend in Dublin since I haven't done that in a few weeks. But when my friend Kaitlyn suggested we head out to Tralee and Dingle, I couldn't say no. It was so worth the trip.

We planned to stay in Tralee 2 nights and go to Dingle for just a day. When we got to Tralee, though, we decided to go to Dingle that day and spend the night. It was the best decision. Dingle was an hour-long bus ride away but the drive was beautiful! It's the prettiest part of Ireland I have seen so far.We found a hostel to stay in and then headed out for a short walk. The scenery was so beautiful! And we had sunshine!
That night we headed to a few pubs. It was nice because since it's the off season there weren't many tourists so it was basically us and the locals in the pubs. We stopped at this pub called O'Flaherty's and ended up spending most of the night there. Our friend Sam got to talking with a local guy. Later in the night the bartender/owner and a few other guys played started playing some Irish music. We also found out from the owner that the local Sam had been talking to was a great Irish dancer and he ended up dancing a bit for us. All in all it was good craic.

What wasn't very fun was the hostel we stayed in. It was fine for sleeping but sometime during the night, the heater must have turned off. It was freezing when we woke up!! To top it all off, the hostel had no hot water! Because of that all of us could not warm up for the rest of the day.

We took the bus back to Tralee that afternoon and were planning to catch the rugby match and stay the night. But when we got to Tralee we collectively decided we all just wanted to get back to Dublin that night.

Even though we left early it was still a really good weekend. Here is the real highlight of the weekend though! Dingle has this famous friendly dolphin, Fungie. He's been around since the mid-80s. They have tour boats that go out to see him and everything. We were all joking around about seeing him. If any of us saw something in the water, we'd yell, "FUNGIE!!" Unfortunately on our walk we did not spot him. But as our bus was leaving Dingle, I looked back and saw one of the tour boats that goes out to find Fungie and THERE HE WAS! So I woke my friend Ashley up and we both got to see him!So I am traveling again this coming weekend and then hopefully just staying in Dublin the next weekend! I really need a weekend here especially since I have essays due soon! So after going to Stockholm this weekend I will get to work!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like your having a blast! I love the picture with the old ship!

    ReplyDelete