Sunday, February 21, 2010

Snowy Stockholm


I made it back from Stockholm, tired (up at 3:40 to head to the airport) but happy. Stockholm was great!

My friend Ryan and I flew into Stockholm on Thursday. We stayed with Ryan's uncle and 3 cousins. It couldn't have been more fun!

Friday Ryan and I took a tour of the City Hall in the morning. We met up with his cousin, Erika, when she was done with school to walk around the Gamla stan (Old City) and grab lunch at a cafe. We met up with Ryan's 2 other cousins, Hannah and Jonathon, at the Medieval Museum after lunch. To end the day, we went to Modern Art Museum. Stockholm has nearly 70 museums which is nice especially when the weather is cold and snowy. It was nice to see snow again though since I really didn't have much winter at home and it doesn't snow that often in Dublin.
Friday night we had a fish fry at the apartment and then watched the Olympics till late at night. That was nice because Ireland really doesn't care about the Olympics. I've been dying to just watch a little bit of it. Thankfully Sweden pays a bit more attention to it.

On Saturday morning we had Swedish pancakes for breakfast. YUM! Then we kids headed out to more museums: the Historiska Museet and the Vasa Museum. The Vasa Museum was really cool. The Vasa was a big warship that sank in Stockholm's harbor in 1628 on its maiden voyage. They found the wreck in the 1950s and salvaged it. It took them nearly 3o years to restore but now it's in the museum.

Saturday night we watched more Olympics-saw the Swedes take gold and bronze in cross country skiing. And then it was time to leave. We were back in Dublin by 9 this morning.

I'm not going to lie. I was ready to get out of the snow and get back to Dublin's more moderate weather. (Remember when I said that Dublin doesn't get snow that often?) When we dipped under the clouds on our descent into Dublin, we saw SNOW! It snowed in Dublin last night! Thankfully it was all melting already which I was happy about.

Stockholm was so fun! It was great staying with Ryan's uncle and cousins and not in a hostel, getting home cooked meals, hanging out with Ryan's cousins and having them show us around. Now I am ready for a weekend here in Dublin since I haven't had one since the second to last weekend in January. I have essays due next week that need to be written and my friend Ashley has ND friends coming in from Austria this weekend so we'll have fun showing them around the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment