Monday, May 10, 2010

The Beginning of the End

We had our last mass and dinner of the semester tonight. It's hard to believe that I have already been in Ireland for 4 months. I can remember the anticipation when I found out last February that I'd be heading to Ireland the next spring. For nearly a year I thought and dreamed about living in Ireland. And also, I remember the fear of the unknown--getting on the plane to Dublin and feeling like I had no idea what I was doing. I've learned that sometimes you just have to do things even if you are scared or don't quite know what you are doing. You just have to jump right in.

But these four months have been the most amazing months of my life. I don't think I am quite able to process it yet and might not be able to until I get home. I've learned a lot, seen new countries, done interesting things and met some awesome people. I've learned more about myself. I've gained a new perspective on the world and America.

Up until tonight I really thought I was ready to come home. But as my departure date gets closer and closer, I am finding that I don't want to leave at all. The other ND students in the program and the staff at the O'Connell House have been like family for the last 4 months and it's hard to think of all of us going our separate ways. Also, who knows when I will be back to Ireland? I know I will someday but I've come to love this island and the people who live here. I will miss the pubs, the beauty of the west of Ireland and I just can't bring myself to think about leaving. Dublin has definitely become home.

That's all for now, I guess. My departure is set for this Sunday, May 16. (Of course, barring any disturbances because of the volcano. Pray that it doesn't cause me any problems on the way home!) I'll leave you for now with a few of my favourite photos (and a favourite song) of the semester!


1 comment:

  1. This was a beautiful post Allison. :)
    I agree one hundred percent with everything you said there, you put it really well.
    I wil miss you tonnnsss over the summer.

    ReplyDelete